In our polarized environment, the censorship and outright banning of children’s books which some deem to be controversial or objectionable remains a major concern for libraries. Intellectual freedom champion Scales returns to the fray with a new edition of her matchless guide, updating the focus to titles published since 2015 which have been the target of challenges. School and public librarians, LIS students, and classroom educators will find the assistance and support they need to defend these challenged books with an informed response while ensuring access to young book lovers. For each of the dozens of titles covered, readers will find
- a book summary;
- a report of the specific challenges;
- quotes from reviews, plus a list of awards and accolades;
- talking points for discussing the book's issues and themes;
- links to the book's website, additional resources about the book, and suggested further reading; and
- read-alikes that have been challenged for similar reasons.